Foundation of AIPG William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship Program
To assist graduate students with college education costs and to promote student participation in the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG). One scholarship will be awarded to a declared graduate student in an accredited geoscience program with an emphasis in environmental geoscience and/or hydrogeology. Details for applying for this scholarship are provided below.
Scholarship award is in the amount of $1,000.00 to an eligible graduate student attending a college or university in the U.S. Scholarships are intended to be used to support tuition, room and board, and/or research.
Any graduate student who is majoring in the geosciences in the U.S. can apply. Also, the student must be either a student member of AIPG or must have applied for student membership at the time the application for the scholarship is submitted.
The student who is awarded the scholarship agrees, by accepting the scholarship, to prepare a 600 to 800 word article for publication in The Professional Geologist. The subject of the article must be related to a timely professional issue.
- Submit a cover letter introducing yourself and tell us what you have done outside of the class room such as research projects, officer in club, or outside activities within the community. Address your career goals in near term and longer term.
- Submit a one page (approximately 750 words) essay on a topic the AIPG Education Committee will decide on annually.
- Submit a copy of your transcript (unofficial) and documentation that you are a current student. Requisite standards to apply are a minimum GPA of 2.8 (on a 4 point scale) and a minimum of 12 semester credits of geology/geoscience courses with a 3.0 GPA in these courses completed at time of application. Those credits can come from previous grad or undergrad studies.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a geology/geoscience professor that provides an emphasis on your performance and activities in the classroom, in the department, and your character in how you work and help other students.
The application packet should be submitted to:
American Institute of Professional Geologists
Attn: Education Committee Chr.
1333 W. 120th Ave., Suite 211
Westminster, Colorado 80234-2710
Questions regarding the application process can be directed to
(303) 412-6205 or e-mail: email@example.com.
If you are submitting your application materials by email, please format the subject line as follows: Foundation Scholarship - Type of Scholarship (Undergrad or Grad) - Last Name of Applicant - Submission. For example, Foundation Scholarship - Graduate - Doe - Letter of Recommendation. You may submit all application materials in one email, and, if necessary, one file.
Application Deadline and Award Date
Applications must be received by midnight Mountain Standard Time (MST) on February 1st, which is to say, before on February 1st.
Awarded the month of May
The scholarship award will be based on the cover letter, recommendation, transcript and the content and creativity of the essay as judged by the Education Committee. The decision of the Education Committee is final.
Application requirements for student membership to AIPG: Student must be currently enrolled in a geological science degree program (as defined by the American Geosciences Institute).
AIPG student membership is available online or applications can be obtained from:
American Institute of Professional Geologists
1333 W. 120th Ave., Suite 211, Westminster, Colorado 80234-2710
(Application forms are also available on the AIPG website http://www.aipg.org)
Join Online! Student Membership is Free!
The scholarships are made possible by the support of the Foundation of the American Institute of Professional Geologists and the AIPG members’ voluntary contributions. To make a donation click here.
2018 Scholarship Winners
2017 Scholarship Winners
The Foundation of the American Institue of Professional Geologists awarded William J. Siok Graduate Scholarships of $1,000 to Ann Hislop, University of Kentucky, and $1,000 to Tyson Smith, University of Houston. Congratulations!
2016 Scholarship Winner
The Foundation of the American Institute of Professional Geologists awarded the William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship of $1,000 to Philipp Tesch, Texas A&M University. Congratulations!
2015 Scholarship Winner
The Foundation of the American Institute of Professional Geologists awarded the William J. Siok Graduate Scholarship of $1,000 to Karen Vyverberg, University of Florida, Florida. Congratulations!